Share This Post

Carnoustie Panmure recorded their first league win of 2016 and put an end to a run of 7 league games without a win at Beechwood Park on Saturday afternoon. Panmure were 2-0 victors over Sauchie Juniors who now find themselves getting dragged back in to the relegation battle.

Panny boss Alan McSkimming made two changes to the side who were unfortunate to lose 1-0 to Broughty Athletic, Stuart Gersok replaced Pat Smith and Ryan Roche came in for Ewan Buggins who had an ankle knock.

Carnoustie could have taken the lead in the first minute when Jamie Mccabe played an inch perfect ball through to Gersok, but his shot was over the bar. The homeside came straight back and Darren Cummings saw a goal bound shot blocked by Ryan Roche. Panmure had started well and took a deserved lead on 11 minutes, a throw in on the left was poorly cleared by Sauchie, McCabe knocked the ball right and McIlravey rifled the ball home from the edge of the box. The home side were struck a further blow on 13 minutes when Cummings, who looked to have pulled a hamstring,  had to be replaced by Morrison. A speculative effort from Scot Gray had the home keeper struggling but went just wide on 38 minutes. Carnoustie should have gone further in front on 43 minutes. A poor back pass from Syme was seized on by Gersok but instead of going on himself he passed the ball to McIlravey who fired in to the side netting , his blushes were saved somewhat by the sight of a flag for offside. Sauchie defender, Jon Tully, was somewhat lucky to receive just a yellow for a bad challenge on McCabe just before the break.

Sauchie were forced in to a second change at half time with substitute Morrison having to be replaced by Harrison following a knee injury suffered at the end of the first half. There were calls for a Carnoustie penalty on 47 minutes when a corner appeared to be handled by McCulloch but they were waved away by the referee. Gray was played through on 54 minutes only to be stopped by a great challenge from Tully. Sauchie launched a rare attack on 55 minutes but it came to nothing as Millars shot flashed wide. The homesides task was made no easier on the hour,  as Tully received a second yellow card and was sent off. The ten men instantly struggled against Carnousties pace out wide and it was no surprise on 72 minutes when Panny increased their lead, substitute Same Simpson, on for Marc Scott, beat the full back before slotting the ball under Allan and in to the net. Sauchie desperately tried to get back in to the game but the visitors defence and keeper, Chris Macpherson were more than up to the task and saw the remaining minutes out to record an important victory.

The result saw Carnoustie climb back above St Andrews United and reduce the gap Broughty Athletic and Sauchie. This coming weekend Carnoustie face bottom club Fauldhouse United at Laing Park kick off 2.30pm

Carnoustie : Macpherson, Cook ©, Macdonald, Miller, Roche, McGeehan, McIlravey, Gray, McCabe (Liversedge 87), Gersok (Smith 79) , Scott (Simpson 59)

Subs Not Used : Brown, Cormack

Referee : Garry Farmer, Dalgety Bay

More To Explore

League Table


Follow us online



Follow us online