Share This Post

The Gowfers may have been without a game but results went their way in the three Super League clashes to take place. Several other games also fell foul of the weather but there was still plenty to keep supporters in the region entertained.

The main focus of the day was the Scottish Junior Cup with a Third Round Replay and five Fourth Round ties taking place involving East Region sides. The Replay was the much postponed tie between Wishaw and Downfield which followed the draw in Dundee many weeks ago. The Glasgow side took the lead on 17 minutes through Duffy before Dale Davidson equalised for the Spiders, six minutes later. The home side adapted to the blustery conditions much the better in the second half and deservedly took the lead just before the hour mark from the spot through McGuire, three minutes later McGuire made it 3-1 and completed his hat trick on 76 minutes. Downfield weren’t helped by a sending off on 78 minutes before the West Region side made it 5-1 on 85 minutes thanks to a Michael Collinder strike.

In the Fourth Round, Lochee United comfortably took care of East Kilbride Thistle at Thomson Park. Stephen McNally scored after just 2 minutes to put his side in front before Conor Borse made it two on seventeen. Craig Smith extended United’s lead on 62 minutes before Birse scored his second on 70 and Logan Davie made it 5-0 with fifteen minutes remaining.
Linlithgow Rose were also comfortable winners at Blackburn United again winning 5-0, Tommy Coyne scored the first on 38 minutes before Gary Thom made it 2-0, 3 minutes before the break. Jamie McKenzie added a third just after half time and Colin Strickland got the fourth on the hour. Blair Batchelor scored the fifth on 66 minutes.
Sauchie take their place in the Fifth Round after a 2-1 win at Bellshill but Kennoway exit the competition following a 6-2 thumping at Kirkintilloch Rob Roy.

In the Super League, Dundonald had to come from behind but eventually were comfortable winners over Broughty Athletic at Whitton Park. The Fed led 1-0 at the break through a Jamie McCunnie penalty but the second half was all Dundonald, as the Fife side took control. Callum Scott scored twice with Scottish Junior international; Lewis McKenzie hitting the other.Broxburn have hit a rich vein of form since Brian McNaughton took over as manager and steamrollered Camelon in a blistering first half performance. Kieran Anderson, back in favour under McNaughton, scored twice with Zander Miller and Scott Richards in the first half before having to defend against a gusting wind in the second.
In a Lothian Derby, Aaron Somerville scored twice alongside an own goal to give Penicuik Athletic the points from a 3-0 win at Newtongrange Star.

Leaders Musselburgh Athletic continued there seemingly unopposed run to the Premier League title with a 2-0 win at home to Tranent while Arniston Rangers were 1-0 winners at Dalkeith Thistle in a game arranged after both of their original games were postponed.
Locally Tayport enjoyed a 2-1 win at Dunbar United, Alan Tulleth and Gary Sutherland on the mark for Charlie Kings men and at Barnetts Park, Paul Quinn, who signed on a permanent deal this week after a loan spell from Dundonald hit St Andrews United’s winner against Bathgate Thistle.

Dundee North End extended their lead at the top and took the bragging rights over East Craigie with a 3-2 victory at North End Park while in the Perthshire Derby, Kinnoull surprised Scone Thistle at Farquharson Park winning 1-0. In the other game in the division Lochee Harp and Arbroath Vics shared the goals and the points in a 1-1 draw at Downfield Park
Meanwhile at Brownlands Park in another game to be arranged following postponements, Luncarty and Dundee Violet drew 2-2.

In the South League there were wins for Crossgates at Easthouses Lily and Oakley United at home to Kirkcaldy. Unfortunately Rosyth went down 1-0 at Pumpherston and Lochgelly Albert lost 2-1 at Harthill Royal.

Photograph by Sean Donaldson

More To Explore

League Table


Follow us online



Follow us online