Midlands League Review – 28th August 2021

Share This Post

Three games in the McBookie.com Midlands League had to be postponed due to Covid-19 outbreaks, Brechin Vics v Blairgowrie, Tayport v Arbroath Vics and Forfar United v Letham all fell foul of a resurgence in cases, leaving six games to take place.

Dundee East Craigie put an end to Lochee United’s unbeaten run as the Shipbuilders deservedly won 2-0 at Thomson Park. Sean Reekie fired East Craigie in to the lead on 22 minutes with Lee Cameron making sure of the points with the second goal with twenty minutes remaining. The victory sees Craigie move level on points with Lochee but with a worse goal difference.

Carnoustie Panmure are six points clear, having played two games more, at the top of the McBookie.com Midlands league after a 3-2 victory over Kirriemuir Thistle at Laing Park. Stewart McKenna, making his first start of the season smashed the ball in to his own net from a Dale Reid cross to give Carnoustie the lead on 19 minutes then on 37 minutes Daryl Burns in the Kirrie goal misjudged the bounce of a Connor Coupe shot and allowed the ball to bounce over him and end up in the net on 37 minutes. Early in the second half Craig Batchelor pulled a goal back on 49 minutes before Paul McLellan scored Carnoustie’s third on 87 minutes. Batchelor pulled a second goal back for the visitors but Carnoustie held out for the remaining minutes, including an incredible 10 minutes of stoppage time to take the points.

New Broughty Athletic manager Darren Scott has two wins from two after his troops followed up their thrashing of Scone in midweek with a 2-0 at Downfield on Saturday afternoon but it wasn’t until the last minute that the points were assured. Josh Skelly put Broughty Athletic in front in the first half with Ryan Winter adding the second in the dying minutes.

Dundee North End were almost the architects of their own downfall as they allowed Dundee St James in to a game that the should have comfortably dominated at North End Park. St James took the lead after 9 minutes through Reece Ross but North End turned it round by the break with Frankie Devine equalising on 28 minutes and Gary Sutherland putting his side in front right on half time. St James equalised early in the second half through Buchan and then took the lead on 50 minutes courtesy of a goal from Dylan Higgins. Devine equalised with his second on 57 minutes before Paul Lunan put North end back in front on 69 minutes. Devine completed his hat trick on 76 minutes and then added a fourth and North Ends sixth with five minutes remaining, while St James ended the game with ten men after Higgins was shown and second yellow card

Forfar West End lost their unbeaten record last weekend against Johnstone Burgh in the Scottish Junior Cup and have now lost three games on the bounce after a 5-2 defeat to Tayport in midweek and a 2-0 loss at Glenesk Park on Saturday, ending the game with ten men. Zac Wilson gave Violet a deserved lead on 15 minutes and Greg Breen added a second on 38 minutes. West End tried to get

back in to the game until Dale Riddell who was returning from suspension after a sending off at Carnoustie was shown a red card with five minutes remaining.

It looked like the bottom two in the McBookie.com Midlands League, Scone Thistle and Coupar Angus would have to settle for a share of the points from a 2-2 draw but Coupar Angus scored twice in the last five minutes to take an important three points. Sean Hastie had scored twice for Scone with Robbie Irons and Chris Tracey scoring for Coupar Angus as the game entered the last five minutes but Kyle Hamilton scored on 86 minutes to put Coupar Angus in front then on 89 minutes Billy Lawson made sure the points went back to Foxhall Park with a fourth.

More To Explore

League Table


Follow us online



Follow us online